Sunday, November 14, 2010

1 picture can speak 1,000 words….a bunch of pictures can speak even more :)

Well, it’s been a little while since my last post so I thought I’d take you through some highlights over the past few months in pictures….it’s more fun that way!

Things have been really busy…and at the same time, REALLY fun. There’s been a great mixture of school events and fun times with friends-South Africa is starting to feel more like home :)


After the camps came to a close for the year, the YFC team from George got to meet up with the whole YFC Southern Africa region for a staff conference in Hermanus, SA. We had a blast. 10 countries were represented at this conference and we all brought our own flava :). Of course, my team from George decided that our flava was PARTAAY…since this year marks the 21st anniversary of YFC George. Pretty cool.
We enjoyed worship time together, learning together and meeting new people. After the week was over, we all went back home refreshed, renewed and excited to serve God through our ministries.

Once home, it was time for me to take a break….sleep in-in my own bed and just chill a bit. But, nothing ever goes exactly how you plan it, right? :) So one morning I woke up, stumbled out of my bedroom to turn on the kettle for hot water, grabbed some tea and then got back into bed. Lovely! I put my ipod on and it wasn’t too long before I dozed off again.
Then, all of a sudden, I got that feeling (you know that feeling) like someone was watching me. Oh, yes, and it was true. I had pu
lled my window curtains back just enough to let the morning sunlight shine through but to a little girl outside, that meant…Caitlin’s awake! As I opened my eyes to check out the window I nearly had a heart
attack….there was Kimberly, the daughter of a woman who cleans the flat next door, who had crawled through the bushes and was now standing at my window. Well, it took me a second to wrap my head around what was going on. Anyway, I said something like, “Um Kimberly, what are you doing?...it’s 7AM on Saturday.” She replied, “Caitlin! I want to show you my marks from last term”….and she started pushing a piece of paper through my open window. Can you believe it. Mmmmkay, well I’m awake now.
To make a long story shorter I invited her in and we sat on the couch for an hour reading through all her marks and teacher comments. What appears inconvenient at first can turn into a blessing. It was so cool helping her read through her papers and congratulating her on her job well done in school. I’ll always remember this early morning surprise visit :)

The following week we ventured back into the schools for the last term of the school year. Our focus this term was on HIV/AIDS education and VCT-Voluntary Counseling and Testing for HIV. One of the events we had with the York High students was a visit to Options Care Center. They learned first hand what happens when a person receives VCT. While there we visited the Cardies. The Cardies are a group of women who are affected by HIV/AIDS and/or had unplanned pregnancies and take part in this income generating support group. The women make the cards, Options sells them at local markets and then the women use the money to support their families.

The York kids really enjoyed their visit to Options, learned a ton about HIV/AIDS and pregnancy counselling and testing and are excited to share what they learned with their friends and families.



Outside of work there have are quite a few things happening as well!

Tarryn, one of the first friends I made when I moved here to George is getting married! My roommate Marion and I along with our friend Andri threw Tarryn a set of bridal showers. They were so much fun! Good food, good fun and lots of laughs. I think Tarryn’s ready to get married now :)






And so she did…it was beautiful. A wedding overlooking the beach and ocean! WOW!








Well, and that brings us to now. The school term’s over and the kids are writing exams…here’s the last goodbyes to my York High Schoolers :)…I love ‘em.

This past Friday, we had our YFC end of the year recognition event….as always, the schools team was wild as ever, cheering everyone on and having a blast-it’s been awesome to work with them this year!





And last but certainly not least, I thought I’d include a picture of the Options Care Center staff :). I worked with them full time when I first arrived in SA before joining The Schools Team and now I’ve decided to work with them again next year. I’m not exactly sure how all the details are going to pan out…working with both the Schools Team and Options but we’ll see!!! :)

So there ya have it, the last few months in a nutshell :)

No comments:

Post a Comment