Thursday, April 5, 2012

My final weeks in SA...A Recap

My last few weeks in SA were filled with lots of tears, going away parties, letters of love from my students and church youth, immeasurable amounts of hugs, and many words of encouragement. This season has been hard but also rewarding. I came to SA expecting to serve with Youth for Christ…and I did ☺, but I never imagined how many blessings from the George community I’d receive in return. I’ve been adopted. The community, especially my church home, has directed me spiritually, provided for me, invited me into their homes as part of their family, and supported me. The Lord provided exactly what He knew I would need in order to minister effectively here with Youth for Christ. Great is Thy faithfulness!

You know, when you think about it…two years doesn’t seem like a long time when you consider a whole life-span! And like I already mentioned, I certainly didn’t anticipate the depth of the relationships that would develop during my time here. I have been blessed with being part of the YFC South Africa family and my church family and that the Lord has used me as a vessel of shining His light in this community. What a privilege!

During my time here, I’ve seen clients at Options Care Centre change their minds from having an abortion to choosing life. I’ve seen teenage girls who’ve learned to value themselves and understand what real love is, and say no to premarital sex and peer pressure. I’ve seen teen moms turn their lives around when they thought there was no hope. And I’ve seen teenage boys resist peer pressure and say no when offered drugs or alcohol at a party. I trust the Lord is changing lives in the George community!

Just before I left SA, one of my friends and ministry partners, Anne-Wein, and I went on a final outreach to a little town about two hours away called Calitzdorp. Chantelle and Shelden started YFC in this little farming community around the same time I moved to South Africa. Anne-Wien and I stayed out there a few days to help out, as both Chantelle and Shelden were getting ready to go on leave for the birth of their first child. So exciting! This experience helped me reflect on all I learned during my time in South Africa. My favourite part was working with Anne-Wien and Chantelle to create a pattern for sewing a purse which will kick-start the Hope Centre’s first income-generating project. Wow, what an amazing picture of God’s love pouring out into the lives of others.

So, through both the good and challenging times here in George, I am sure of one thing, “…The moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along…He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.” -Romans 8:26,27.

One of my biggest blessings over the past two and a half years, has been my community of support back home…for your thoughts, prayers, financial support, encouragement and all the other countless ways that you’ve helped to sustain me in the work God has called me to. I am forever grateful!

Blessings and love….

No comments:

Post a Comment