Friday, February 26, 2010

A New Chapter....begins tomorrow

Iiiiiiiiit’s time for another update….and guess what? I’m just about to dive into a new chapter of my life here in South Africa. Woohoo!

So, here’s the scoop. Tomorrow I’m moving out of the Edwall’s house and into my new flat AND I’m blessed to have a roommate to move in with! Thank you so much for all of your prayers and thank you Lord for paving the way!

I secured a flat in the middle of town earlier this month and now it’s finally time to move in. Marion and I have been moving our things (mostly her stuff) into our flat bit by bit over the past week and by tomorrow night, everything should be set. We’re so excited!

This came to both of us as a very pleasant surprise :) A few weeks after I moved to South Africa, Marion and I became friends after our mutual friend Tarryn introduced us at church. After that, a whole group of us just clicked-we enjoy dinner gatherings, snorkeling trips, beach adventures….you name it. But I had no idea that Marion and I would eventually become roommates!

One night Marion and I decided to grab a quick dinner together and while we were eating, my housing situation came up. She shared in my excitement for securing a flat but I had no idea that she had been contemplating moving in with me. As far as I knew she was totally content living in her beautiful one bedroom flat. But she said that soon after she got word that I was moving out of the Edwall’s house and looking for a roommate, she started wondering if we should be roommates. Pretty cool, huh? I even joked with my Mom on a Skype call earlier that week about how I could see us as roommates BUT unfortunately for me, she’s settled an happy where she’s currently living :)

So, looking back, it really took patience and waiting for the right person, but it worked out in the long run…the Lord had a plan all along! Marion was completely happy and settled in her one bedroom flat but she listened to the quiet Voice urging her try something new. I’ve come to learn that Marion loves environmental science and is outreach minded like me so it’s going to be awesome getting to know her. Our desire is for our home to be a safe place for people to spend time together, build relationships, and just enjoy each other’s company…similar to 6023 in Arlington, VA-I miss you guys!

I’ll end with this. Today I was reading the devotional that my Mom gave my sister Lauren and I the day I left for South Africa. It reflects on the 1st chapter of my life here in George…

“I am leading you, step by step, through your life. Hold My hand in trusting dependence, letting me guide you through this day. Whenever you find yourself worrying about the future, repent and return to Me. I will show you the next step forward, and the one after that, and the one after that. Relax and enjoy the journey in My Presence, trusting Me to open up the way before you as you go.”
~Based on Deuteronomy 29:29 & Psalm 32:8~

So, Chapter 2 - here I come :) and I can’t wait to see what it brings…


Things are continuing to go well with the Schools Team. Ozzy and I really enjoy working together and have developed a fun dynamic with the kids at York and Outeniqua High Schools. (This picture says it all!...if you'd like to see a more serious picture~check out my latest snail mail news letter) It is so awesome working with kids and empowering them to make good, educated decisions. I’m still working on a bunch of counseling courses which will better equip me for working in the schools. The courses will be going on for a few more weeks and I'm so thankful for how much I'm learning. I am still on the hunt for a car and until I find one, I am catching lifts with whoever is available and willing :).

Just as a heads up, I may not have access to the internet for the next few days, and maybe even a week while I transition into my new flat. Please pray that getting the internet set up in my new place with be easy and not take too long :).

As always, I miss you guys! I really appreciate all the emails and little notes you have sent my way over the past few months. I love hearing how you are doing and how I can specifically be praying for you so keep ‘em coming!

Blessings!


2 comments:

  1. SHOUTS OUT FOR 6023!!!!!!!!!!!

    Glad you found a new flat, though. Looking forward to seeing it in June! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thanking and praising God that he is truly faithful and is providing friends, shelter and a purpose for you in S.A.!!!

    ReplyDelete